Exercise is important for good physical health. It also provides stress relief and benefits mental and emotional health. However, it is important to exercise with the correct technique because otherwise, you could injure yourself.
Some exercises require more attention than others, but all types of physical activity can benefit from a basic understanding of the technique.
Weight lifting is one of the most demanding types of exercise in terms of technique.
It is easy to lift a weight incorrectly and this can lead to serious injury.
People who start weight training should always seek the advice of someone with more experience to make sure their technique is sound.
Some basic tips include:
- Raise no more than the amount you can move 12 to 15 times. Lifting more than this can increase the risk of injury.
- Breathe regularly to keep your blood pressure at a proper level. Holding your breath while you get up can cause elevated blood pressure levels, including potentially dangerous ones.
- Take rest days. Try not to work for the same main muscle group two days in a row.
- Balance your workouts to strengthen your muscles evenly. If you exercise the front of your legs, also do an exercise that targets the back of your legs.
- Warm-up with fast aerobic activity before starting to train. Cold muscles are easier to injure than warm ones.
- Don’t rush. Using the boost to lift the weights does not train the muscles and increases the risk of injury.
- Stop if an exercise causes pain. Weight training is no place for the “no pain, no gain” attitude.
Importance of correct exercise technique
Stretching before a workout can help warm up your muscles and improve or maintain flexibility.
However, incorrect stretching can also cause injury.
Stretch carefully to enjoy the benefits of exercise and some of the possible risks. Here are some tips to follow:
- Never stretch cold muscles. After your warm-up, it’s time to stretch, not before.
- Avoid static stretches (the ones you hold) before your workout. The most effective and safe stretches for this time are those in which the body is in motion. This includes fluid yoga poses, arm circles, and hip rotations, and other simple movements.
- Do static stretches after your workout. Hold each stretch for about 30 seconds.
- Warm-up and stretch appropriately for your workout. Golfers may want to target the lower back, for example, while soccer linemen are advised to loosen and warm their shoulders before playing.
importance of correct exercise technique | Many people assume that because behavior is natural or easy, it is the right way to do it. This assumption can cause injury over time and is dangerous.
Even something as simple as walking or cycling can be done right or wrong, and the difference can be long-term health or injury.
It is recommended that you read or review some online gymnastics techniques videos and hire a personal trainer for any sport you are new to to avoid injury.
The proper technique is very helpful in avoiding injury and the healthier you are, the fewer breaks you will have to take.
Something as simple as learning to point your toes when your bike could relieve you of that lingering knee strain as well.